The history of the “U Medvidku” building goes back to the beginnings of the 15th century. The house was named after one of its first owners, mr. Jan nedvídek, who founded the brewery in 1466 and manufactured beer until 1898.
Afterwards, the owners of the brewery houses could not compete with the newly-built industrial breweries; therefore, they closed their small breweries and founded the town brewery in hole•ovice. Mr. Karel vendulak, the last brewer, became the first director of the brewery. The brewery was rebuilt into one of the largest alehouses in prague, featuring prague’s first tingl-tangl /cabaret/ at the beginning of the 20th century. In the nineteen-fifties, the premises was taken away from its owners, without any compensation, by a socialist government. The house deteriorated until 1989, and it wasn’t until after its return to the inheritors of the original owners that the premises underwent vast reconstruction, during which the alehouse was extended and a stylish hotel was built.
The last stage of the reconstruction was completed in 2005, when the original malt house was rebuilt as the “house of beer” featuring a brewery store, congress hall and mini-brewery. The first brewing batch was symbolically finished on november 17, 2004, exactly 15 years after the “Velvet” revolution in the czech republic.
Our goal is not to manufacture the most beer, but to show the manufacturing process at its best, including procedures and equipment no longer in use today, such as stock cooling, open fermentation tanks, wooden lager barrels, and manual racking into bottles with patented caps. This is why the smallest restaurant
brewery in the Czech Republic was created, to have a maximum annual sales volume of 300 hectoliters of the 13-degree strong beer called OLDGOTT.